Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hibernating, 18 May 2010


In case you were keeping track, the Canadiens won the first and last game in the Igloo. I am still pretty bitter about that last loss to them but I guess you can't blame the Habs. They were just playing good hockey while my beloved Pens were on a bus, en route to Schenctady. That is the only rational explanation. Some crazed Canucklehead hijacked the bus and headed north. Mario was desperate and found some guys with playoff beards to stand in for the players. I swear I bought a snowcone from the guy with Geno's jersey on. Seriously! Would I lie?

It's taken me a while to come around but I am a reluctant Habs fan. I want them to make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, though I really do not care who wins. I just really do not want to have the Flyers advance to the Cup. I am sure the Flyers players are just wonderful human beings, but the fans........ick. Not sure they are human beings. They are obnoxious when their teams suck (most of the time) but are on a different plane when their teams are good (almost never.) So...Philadelphia...talk about your quintessential armpit of the universe. I am trying to think of one good thing about Philly. Liberty Bell? Cool history but must have been made in Philly cause it broke the first time they used it. Ben Franklin? He went to live in England just to get away from the place. The nation's capital? Only for a bout a week and a half, till everyone realized they built in in Philadelphia, then ran like hell to DC. The Eagles? Ha! GO DONOVAN! I never thought I would cheer for the Redskins! Cheesesteaks? My cholesterol is too high, anyway. So, what's left? Teeming cesspool of urban blight? Well, that about sums up Philly.

Of course, it is only fair to mention that I was born and raised in Pittsburgh (once again voted the coolest place on Earth by everyone who votes on cool places.) This means that we Burghers are raised to believe Philadelphia is where they put all the people who are not good enough to live in Pittsburgh. This made perfect sense back then and I have no reason to change that opinion.

Of course, it is absolutely chapping my butt to know they shut out the Habs two games in a row. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! Come on, New Jesrsey! Grant my request an annex Philly! I'll help pack it's bags!

In the meantime, GO HABS!

No comments:

Post a Comment