Friday, May 14, 2010

Day 27, 13 May 2010



This is all that remains of the once-proud playoff beard! My Pens went down in flames last night so I was forced to pull out the razor. As depressing an event as that was, I can't be totally bummed out. Together, we raised $310 for my beard (yay, beard!) and more than $86,000 for the Mario Lemieux Foundation! Last time I checked, that was far and away the most money raised by any team. Obviously, Pittsburgh rocks! I want to thank all the very cool people who supported my beard. We ended up rank #47 out of 586 Bearders. Not too shabby. It gives me something to grow on next year. That's in addition to the actual face I will grow on, but I guess you figured that out.

With that said, though, today was brutal at work. Some folks were very polite and let me whine about how my team got their butts handed to them. My boss, who has been jabbing at me all season, passed on the opportunity to razz me one more time. Others were just caustic. One woman was cackling with glee because she hates Crosby. She clearly knows nothing about hockey. My proof? She's a Devils fan. It's not like they're a real team or anything.

So what is the deal with all the hate on Sid? He's a fantastic hockey player, even with a disappointing Habs series, and a genuinely nice guy. What's to hate? Is it jealousy that drives these potato heads? Lunacy? Idiocy? Open sea? Wait...where'd that one come from? Take my bud who is a Devils fan. No, seriously, take her. Maybe to the open sea. Leave her there. We won't mind so much! She hates Crosby because....are you ready?....Sid is the reason her goalie sucks!!!!!! Apparently, there is some cross-rink space continuum thing that I don't know about. The Schrodinger's cat of hockey: You put Crosby on the ice with your goalie and Sid scores seven goals. Would your goalie suck less if Sid was not on the ice? Maybe the goalie is crap all the time (like on the Devils) and Sid just exposed him. Maybe Sid is such a great player that he can make a good goalie look bad (though you can't prove that by Halak. Damn it!) Does the presence of one great hockey player change the nature of a goalie?

Admit it, this is why you read the blog. Where else are you going to get physics and hockey in the same blog? I'm like your very own educational toy! You are so very lucky.

A recent Facebook status paste for those too lazy to write one sentence says something like "I'm from Pittsburgh so I'm six Super Bowls, Three Stanley Cups and a Sidney Crosby cooler than you!" Makes perfect sense to me. I am not ready to climb on the Habs bandwagon and cheer for them, though I have a hard time working up a good hate for them. The Habs outplayed and outcoached the Pens. Because of that, they're moving on to glory while we mutter into our collective beers. Huh. I guess it wasn't so hard to work up a hate for them, after all!

I have to take a second here to thank the Penguins for a great season. Too bad it ended the way it did but I had a great time. I hope y'all did, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment