Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 11, 27 Apr 2010

Flyers market, my ass! One of the few downsides about living in central Pennsylvania is being told which sports teams I have to like. In the heart of Steeler Country, the local affiliate plays Ravens games. Come on! Does anyone watch Ravens games voluntarily? I am not sure I could ever be that desperate to see a football game. For hockey, the powers that be decided central PA is obviously a Flyers market. The local newspaper covers girls softball tryouts before they print a word about Pittsburgh sports. Let Ryan Howard get a hangnail, though, and it is front page news. Oh, yack! Not only am I not a Flyers fan (or an Eagles fan, or Phillies, or Sixers, or Soul, or whatever), I am trying to convince New Jersey to annex Philadelphia. I figure it is an easy way to make Newark look good by comparison.


What really got me going about this was that Dick's Sporting Goods, a company based in Pittsburgh, does not carry Penguins gear in the local Harrisburg stores. They tell me that each store is forced to buy regionally and they have to support Philly teams. The manager said he had to fight to get Steelers gear after they won a Superbowl. I tried to buy a hat after the Stanley Cup and went to seven stores before I found any Penguins gear at all. How hard would it be to to support two teams from the same state? I am no marketing whiz but this does not sound too tough to me. Thanks to my cousin, Don, for hooking me up with the cool Pens sign from the Pittburgh Dick's store.
If the Canadiens win tomorrow night, we should face the Flyers in the next round of the playoffs. Oh, yippee. I really think Dean Wormer was talking to Philly fans when he said, "Son, fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life."

1 comment:

  1. I'd watch a Raven's game only when they play the Steelers. GO PENS!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete